Since colonial times, the education sector of the Philippines has accomplished a good record in terms of the education rate and funding. There are 5,000 international students every year pursuing a variety of programs in over 2,000 universities. Amongst these, there are selected universities that also fall under the prestigious or elite institutions. Having a base of colonial history, the education is affiliated with Roman Catholicism. Some of the student-friendly cities here are Metro Manila, Cebu, Davao, and Iloilo. Amongst the various programs, the array of creative writing courses in the Philippines is also abundant in number.
What is Creative Writing?
Creative Writing is a style of writing where the thought, idea, imagination, and perspective are put together. This style of writing comes from a personal place as it mainly revolves around imagination and creativity. Since creative writing is highly subjective, the beauty of it creates a space of individuality and uniqueness.
Creative writing goes beyond the realms of the ordinary and it is boundless. There is no definite explanation or meaning when it comes to creative writing. Each creative writer has their style so the audience of readers is also highly diversified. There are multiple genres in creative writing, falling in the category of fiction/non-fiction.
Even though, as an individual, you have the zeal for creative writing, it does take commitment, patience, and passion to dive deeper to find your voice in this field. There are moments in life when it gets challenging or almost impossible to convey the deepest emotion that lingers within the core self. Creative writing creates that platform for self-expression and reflection. In creative writing, the writer and the reader form this link of relatability.
With time, having experience in creative writing also aids in utilizing your skills and creativity in commercial writing or content writing. While selecting the creative writing courses in the Philippines, getting an overview of the mediums of creative writing shall give you more clarity or ideas about your forte.
What Are the Various Mediums of Creative Writing?
As creative writing isn’t bound by any rule or limit, the various mediums of creative writing benefit the writer and the reader to go above and beyond. These mediums in creative writing assist you in exploring where your passion lies and through what channel a writer wishes to convey his voice.
- Poetry: Poetry is the oldest art form in literature and has been popular since the period of 1300s or even before that. The popularity of poetry is not just limited to the English language. Around the globe, writers and artists are withholding the cultural heritage and legacy of their country through this splendid art form. If you are just entering the creative writing space, poetry creates that perfect opening. Poetry comes in many forms, such as Free verse, haiku/senryu, sonnet, limerick, found poetry, lyrical poetry, couplets, and many more. The traditional form of poetry followed the rhyming sequence during the writing process. However, contemporary/modern poetry dismisses this concept as it is outdated. Poetry helps you build observation skills by using an apt set of similes, metaphors, imagery, language, and punctuation. By experimenting with these poetry forms, you can gauge as to which form suits your writing style and personality.
- Song Writing: Similar to writing poetry, songwriting has gained popularity in the music forefront and industry. Songwriting relies on strong rhyming words and sequence as it captivates the audience and is the very core of engagement with the listeners. The musicians, singers, and songwriters form a collective approach by presenting the ideas, emotions, or observances around them to turn them into a presentable piece. Songwriting can be quite a challenge, as different genres possess different emotions. Songwriting is nothing but poetry with a melodious touch. Using metaphors in songwriting is also a common practice.
- Screenplay: A screenplay is a style of writing where the written piece is formulated for films, dramas, television series, and video games. The idea of screenplay is bringing life to the art form. A screenplay contains elements like dialogues of characters, gestures, scene depiction, number of characters, backdrop of set, and acting styles. A screenplay can be an original creation or an adaptation from a similar/popular work. The screenplay is the main pillar or the foundation laid for a film to have a good holding.
- Short Story Writing: A short story is a piece of fiction writing where the reader can finish the story in one sitting. It includes the characters, setting, plot, and storyline in a compact form. The length of the short story can range from 1000- 8000 words or 20-30 pages. The outline of the short story is focused on a single plot due to its length. This form of writing can also be a stepping stone to grasp the writing style of novels.
- Novels: The long form of story writing is known as novels and can be written as a fiction or a non-fiction piece. Novels come in printed form. The storytelling art form is often used to write a novel where the sections are divided into acknowledgments, prologue (introductory portion), chapters, and epilogue (climax of the novel). Reading a novel requires a certain amount of time and the process of publishing a novel requires hard work, patience, and dedication. To form a storyline of a novel is often a tedious task but for the passionate writer, the whole journey from the first page to the last is a worthwhile expedition. Writing a novel strengthens your literary skills and exposes you to an advanced and polished writing style.
- Speech Writing: This is another creative writing form that is highly in demand. Speech writing is the art of luring the audience with the profound impact of words. Speech writing can be based on many themes such as educational, inspirational, or humour-centric. Various public speaking platforms challenge an individual in terms of presentation, voice modulation, stage presence, and similar criteria. Delivering a successful speech is the coordination between the speaker and the writer. The writer can gain inputs on the motive of the speech, the type of audience, and the speaker’s capabilities to write an apt script. The art form of speech writing shifts its style according to the event and audience. This form of writing allows the writer to adopt a mixed skill set.
Also Read: Digital Marketing Courses in the Philippines
These were the 6 types of creative writing forms that are popular. We will now brief you about the institutions that offer creative writing courses in the Philippines.
1. IIM SKILLS
Content writing is one of the most in-demand educational programs to learn the various types of writing. While content writing doesn’t exactly contain all the fundamentals of creative writing, it can enhance the skills to diversify one’s potential or improve the skills required for pursuing creative writing courses in the Philippines.
The first course offered by IIM SKILLS is the Content Writing Master Course. Since then, IIM SKILLS has diversified its education programs into fields like finance, data analytics, and digital marketing.
Course Name: Content Writing Course
Mode of Learning: Online
Certification: From IIM Skills, HubSpot (USA) & TOLES (UK)
Tools used: Google AdWords, Canva, Keyword Planner, WordPress, Yoast SEO, Uber Suggest, Google Trends, Grammarly, SEMrush & many more.
- Introduction to content writing
- WordPress site building & hosting
- Learn to write for articles, blogs, and web pages
- Marketing collaterals like business listings, flyers & brochures
- Email Writing
- Social Media Writing
- Creative Writing
- Legal Writing
- Technical Writing such as White Paper
- Freelance Content Writing
- Enhance the skills by differentiating between traditional style of writing and commercial writing
- Learn to enhance creativity in writing skills by creating engaging content required for social media.
- Build the consistency to write regularly and refine your writing skills.
- Learn the importance of research while writing articles.
- Create catchy headlines for a written piece and learn the formatting of various headlines.
- Learn the importance of editing and proofreading.
Email ID: email@example.com
2. Talk Shop
Founded in 2000 by Sheila Viesca, Talk Shop is a leading institution in providing creative writing courses in the Philippines. Talk Shop consults and trains private organizations, MNCs, and individuals who are passionate about the English language and are keen to take their creative writing skills to a higher level.
The creative writing courses in the Philippines by Talk Shop are affiliated with the International English Education Research Association and Civil Service Commission.
Course Name: Creative Writing
Course Duration: 20 hours
Mode of Learning: Online
Course Fee: Details sent upon inquiry
- Guided sessions that include 30% of instructor-based discussion and 70% of interactive learning.
- Critiquing session
- Creative writing assignments
- Development of creativity including demonstration of free-writing.
- Difference between innovation and creativity.
- Literary devices.
- Knowing the boundaries of logic to understand the flow of creative writing.
- Awareness of the common errors of writers.
- Creative composition including Imaginative, Narrative, Descriptive, and Synthesis Writing.
- Creative writing evaluation and implementation.
- Get the flow of grammar by being aware of punctuation, phrases, and spelling.
- Get the flow of thought to paper and ideas to words.
- Learn the transition of the script.
- Learn the various writing styles shifting through theme, language, and format.
- Learn how to balance the composition of jargon, figure of speech, and idioms.
- Learn the important tips for good quality creative writing.
- Find your voice in creative writing with consistent practice.
- Ability to understand the target audience in creative writing.
- Blending logic and creativity to form a compelling written piece.
Mob: (+63) 917 877 5588 | (+63) 917 790-5588
E-mail ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Far Eastern University
Founded in 1928 by Dr. Nicanor Reyes and the professors from the University of Philippines, Far Eastern University started as an educational institution providing accountancy programs with a term of 3 years. Far Eastern University got its name with the collaboration of Far Eastern College which was founded in 1919 and offered programs in liberal arts. In 1933, FEU, with this partnership, provided courses in accountancy, Finance, Banking, and liberal arts.
FEU faced a tragedy during the Pacific War, leading to the burning of campus records and the death of the founder and the family members. After reopening in 1945, FEU has established an immense student record, advanced faculty, and qualitative learning tools. Today, FEU has a record of success for students who have emerged in the fields of business, law & judiciary, healthcare, media, and many more professions.
The creative writing courses in the Philippines by FEU have been curated in the listed pointers below:
Course Name: Bachelor of Arts in Language and Literature Studies (UG)
Course Duration: 4 years
Mode of Learning: Blended learning with virtual sessions, self-paced modules & in-person learning.
Course Fee: Upon inquiry
Internship: Mandatory internship comprising 6 units of coursework.
- Ability to comprehend the various types of information in language and literature.
- Ability to understand the in-depth fundamentals and theories used in the various specializations of literature.
- Evaluation of the methods used in literature.
- To design and implement research-based projects, providing the latest knowledge to fulfill the expectations of the student and meet the industry standards.
- To learn in-depth concepts used in literature that will aid in pursuing higher studies.
- Introduction to cultural studies
- Readings in Philippine History
- Speech communication
- Language theory
- Philippine literature
- Creative Process
- English syntax
- Language research
- Wellness programs
- Literary genres in fiction & non-fiction
- Literary research
- Website content & management
By pursuing creative writing courses in the Philippines by FEU, you will learn to:
- Utilize problem-solving skills to run effective research in literary segments.
- Master the various writing styles and forms that are specific to the genre and different lines of work and profession.
- Produce effective written pieces for different kinds of audiences and fulfill specific objectives.
- Assessing the importance of English literature in society and filling the roles to cater to the enthusiasts of language and literature.
- Utilize analytical skills to form conclusions of literary texts.
Ph: +63 (2)-87777-338
Email ID: email@example.com
4. Mindanao State University
MSU was founded in 1984 aiming to educate the youth of the Philippines at a higher level in disciplines like Science and Technology. Since its development over the years, MSU has diversified its programs in English studies, history, political science, applied ethics, and psychology.
By following the norm of the present expectation in education, the creative writing courses in the Philippines by MSU deliver the quality that is required to drive the necessary results in creative writing. This program gives you exposure to the various theories and tools used in the English language. You will gain knowledge as to how the language is used for different purposes. The creative writing courses in the Philippines by MSU offer the following:
Course Name: BA in English Studies
Course Duration: 4 years
Mode of Learning: Information to be given upon inquiry.
Course Fee: Upon inquiry
- To provide the essential knowledge to use the English language in various contexts.
- To understand the various forms of literature by developing the different styles to be creative.
- Application of Theories in English Literature.
- To follow ethical practices and respect the cultural aspects of the society.
- Purposive Communication
- Introduction to English Language Studies
- English language theories
- Language of Literary & non-literary texts
- Translation studies
- Philippine Linguistic
- Philippine Literature
- Regional Literature
- Society & Culture
- Special issues in the English language
- Foreign Language
- Appreciation of art
- Undergraduate thesis
Mob: +63 (063) 223 8641
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Faber Academy
Faber is one of the most renowned academies known for creative writing. Founded first in 1929, Faber educates and publishes works in fiction, non-fiction, and poetry. Faber is also associated with art forms like drama. Pursuing creative writing courses in the Philippines through Faber Academy is a highly beneficial option as this academy provides online courses as well.
This academy is home to some of the most popular writers in creative writing. To name a few are, T. S. Eliot, Ted Hughes, Harold Pinter, Sylvia Plath, and Kazuo Ishiguro. Faber Academy was fully set up in 2008 and has been providing multiple courses on creative writing, fiction & non-writing, manuscript-building programs, short story writing & many more.
Having a record of educating 2000 writers a year and providing the best publishing deals across genres, this award-winning institution will elevate your prospects while pursuing creative writing courses in the Philippines.
Course Name: Beginner’s Fiction
Course Duration: 12 weeks
Mode of Learning: Online
Course Fee: £395
Category of Learners: Aspiring writers who are new to the aspects of prose writing and novel setting.
Course Curriculum: This course comprises of 6 sessions. You will be learning the following:
- Generate original ideas and tips to get started as a good writer.
- Introduction to prose: Analysis of how words and imagery complement each other in the written form.
- Creating the structure of the story by applying techniques to keep the reader invested.
- Creating the characters, setting, and scenes for an intriguing story.
- Balancing the right amount and type of dialogue while ensuring realism and keeping up with the editing standards.
- Time and space to dedicate to personal writing practice while having access to chat rooms and feedback.
Recommended Read: Creative Writing Courses in Europe
6. Writer’s Digest University
WDU has been a hub for aspiring writers and authors for 90 years. Offering a plethora of online courses and live sessions, the creative writing courses in the Philippines by WDU fulfill all the requirements of avid learners. Aspiring writers can choose from courses like novel outline, form & composition, fearless writing, advanced novel writing, short story writing, grammar & mechanics, book coaching, character development, creative writing, freelance writing, and many courses specific to writing.
Course Name: Getting started in writing
Mode of Learning: Online
Category of Learners: Aspiring writers who are struggling to take the first step or in need of more knowledge in creative writing with the guidance of a published writer.
Course Duration: 2 months + 3 weeks
Course Fee: $379.99
- Resources from the local library and reference guides.
- Grammar fundamentals.
- Description and sensory detail.
- Principles of characterization, viewpoint, dialogue, and conflict in fiction/non-fiction.
- Nonfiction elements like fillers, research articles, personal experience articles, and several article styles.
- Evaluating personal writing style.
- Short fiction elements like plot, outline, and story ideas.
- Elements of novel writing like opening, novel idea, prologue, epilogue, and memoirs.
- Editing tips like revision, rewriting, and manuscript formation.
- Gaining an in-depth knowledge about the importance of grammar & punctuation.
- Ability to discover your voice while experimenting with various writing styles and assignments.
- Enhance the storytelling skills to glide through the transition of story setting and scene.
- Pre-reading material to understand the topics more efficiently.
- Get access to discussion forums with the week’s session and get prompts from the instructor to enhance your knowledge.
- Access to private journals to post queries to the instructor on writing contests, essential tips, or questions about the publication process.
- Getting a kickstart in forming the drafts of novels or publications.
- Weekly updated sessions on the topics of creative writing.
These were the top 6 creative writing courses in the Philippines that provide all the essentials in creative writing. We have addressed some FAQs mentioned below that might help you understand this field better.
1. Do I need to have prior knowledge or be an experienced writer to learn creative writing?
To learn creative writing, one just needs to have a strong will to strive in the line of interest. Being an experienced writer can give you that additional weightage, but a beginner in creative writing also has prospects to be successful in this field. Whether you are a consistent writer or you are exploring the style, the willingness to learn at your pace will eventually be rewarding as creative writing has intriguing subjects to gain input from.
2. How can I be a good creative writer?
If you are new to creative writing or are prompt with the flow of it, there is always a learning curve in any form of art. To get the most out of creative writing, you need to be an avid reader as well. Reading the work of other writers can expose you to various writing styles and rhythms. Being an avid reader also helps you overcome writer’s block and can spark your imagination to get the creative juices flowing. Another helpful tip is to keep a notepad or a journal to put down your ideas. As inspiration comes in any form, at any moment, having a record of it can help you keep creating what appeals the most to you.
3. After pursuing creative writing courses in the Philippines, what are the career pathways to choose from?
After the completion of creative writing courses in the Philippines, depending on your interest and skill set, you can opt for the following career pathways:
- Copy Editor/Reader
- Script Writer
- Freelance Writer
- English Professor
- Speech Trainer
- Film Critic
- Proof Reader
- Talk Show host
Of the various styles of writing, creative writing is the one that tops the list. There is a certain sense of duality in creative writing. The beauty of it lets you be raw on the paper, yet acts as a shield to mask you from the world. Even the darkest emotion in creative writing is beautified and this just intensifies the passion and imagination of a writer. Creative writing changes your perspective on the world and yourself. Artistic self-expression exudes confidence and a positive identity. With creative writing, there is never a sense of boredom as the writer always finds common ground with the reader, with every new story.