Global investment banks such as Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase, Morgan Stanley, and Deutsche Bank have become household names. Many large financial operations such as Initial Public Offering underwriting, mergers, acquisitions, and reorganization need an investment bank to organize these transactions. With accounting and financing being the most important skills for the job role, an investment banker is highly paid and the job type is challenging too. Acquire the skills required to become an investment banker and get placed in top companies around the world through these top Investment Banking Courses in Mumbai.
Introduction to Investment Banking
Investment banking involves complex financial mechanisms. Investment banks are mainly involved in organizing large financial transactions such as mergers, acquisitions, initial public offering underwriting, and so on. In simple words, investment banks act as middlemen between the entity that has money and the other that has ideas and needs money to implement those.
Apart from carrying out financial transactions, providing expert advice to organizations regarding various financial aspects is also a major function of investment banks.
They are different from commercial banks as the main function of an investment bank involves raising money by selling securities such as bonds and stocks whereas commercial banks lend the money that they have received in the form of deposits and charge interest on the loans.
Different Functions of Investment Banks
- Initial Public Offering underwriting: When a company wants to issue new shares to raise funds or when a start-up with an idea wants to raise funds to implement it, an underwriter acts as an intermediary between the company and the investors. The job of an underwriter in an investment bank is to help a company prepare for its initial public offering by considering various issues such as the amount of money that is to be raised, the type of securities to be issued, and the agreement between the company and the underwriter. The most common model of underwriting that happens is the underwriter or a group of underwriters known as a syndicate buying the entire stock that is issued in the IPO. It is then sold to the public at the IPO price.
- Mergers and Acquisitions: The role of investment banks in mergers and acquisitions is to advise different companies and aid in transactions where businesses want to sell their company or a part of their asset to buyers or acquire smaller companies often called targets, and either divest or acquire part of assets from other companies. Therefore, investment banks both buy-side and sell-side in case of mergers and acquisitions deals.
- Research: Finding out the valuation of different companies is the core function of investment banks. They use complex financial models to calculate the estimated amount required for the transactions considering the target company’s projected results. They advise different companies on various aspects such as securities, market trends, and the next financial step that the company needs to consider. Investment bankers should know the inside out of the market to facilitate their clients in financial transactions.
Different Roles of Investment Bankers
An investment banker is a professional who combines his expertise in the financial services industry with his analytical abilities and persuasive communication to support companies or clients in activities like mergers, acquisitions, and capital raising. Investment bankers will be involved in various advisory activities such as corporate restructuring, placement of capital, divestitures, bond pricing, and so on. The different roles that a person gets to work in after completion of Investment Banking courses in Mumbai are as follows:
- Junior investment banker
- Investment banking analyst
- Investment banking associate
- Executive Vice president
Investment Banking Scenario in Mumbai
Mumbai is the financial capital of India and also has the largest economy in our country with a gross domestic product of $140 billion. Its nodal location with both national and international connectivity makes it a leading commercial and industrial center. There are many investment banks in Mumbai with top banks from across the globe having their presence too.
- JP Morgan and Co.
- Goldman Sachs
- Citi Bank
- Morgan Stanley
- Barclays bank
- Tata consultancy services
- Yes bank
- Systematix group
- Avendus capital
- Equirus Capital
- Brescon Advisors Private Limited and many more.
The presence of a large number of investment banks and the ever-expanding economy makes it ideal for Investment banking courses in Mumbai.
Who Can Pursue Investment Banking?
An undergraduate degree with a major in finance, business, or economics is recommended to start your career as an investment banker at the entry level. An advanced postgraduate degree, preferably an MBA in finance is looked for by various recruiters. An advanced degree in mathematics is also highly prized at present by the investment banking world.
One can also do a certification course in investment banking from the top investment banking courses in Mumbai to increase their chances of being placed with top banks. The various skills that an investment banker must have are business valuation, financial modeling, communication and presentation skills, analytical thinking, and relationship management with clients.
In this article, we provide the list of Investment banking courses in Mumbai that will upskill you to be more effective for the role of an investment banker.
Top 7 Investment Banking Courses in Mumbai
1) IIM SKILLS – Investment Banking Master Course
IIM SKILLS was founded in 2015 and is one of the leading digital platforms to provide industry-relevant courses. The Certified Investment Banking Course by IIM SKILLS is designed to meet the needs of students without any previous finance field experience and also for working professionals who want to upskill and have a career transition.
The course provides more than 100 practical assignments along with case studies and a guaranteed internship that will help you land your dream job. IIM SKILLS also provides a capstone project that boosts the individual’s intellectual and academic experience along with additional support from the expert team to prepare you for the interview making it one of the best investment banking courses in Mumbai.
Mode of learning: 3 months of Instructor-led online course and 1 month guaranteed internship
- MS Excel
- MS PowerPoint
- Fundamentals of Financial system and market
- Derivatives market
- Technicals of investment banking
- Business valuation
- Different marketing collaterals
- Technicals of financial modeling
Placement assistance: IIM SKILLS has a dedicated placement cell to help students in their job search. The master certification by IIM Skills is recognized by the MSME Government of India. With 300+ hiring including top companies such as Goldman Sachs, J P Morgan, Accenture, and Tata Consultancy Services you will get 100% job support to land up in your dream job.
Other best courses in Mumbai:
- Content Writing Courses in Mumbai
- Digital Marketing Courses in Mumbai
- GST Certification Courses in Mumbai
- Technical Writing Courses in Mumbai
- SEO Courses in Mumbai
- Business Analytics Courses in Mumbai
2) Imarticus Learning- Certified Investment Banking Operations Professional Course
With the mission to develop leaders of tomorrow by delivering practical and purposeful learning experiences, Imarticus Learning is one of the top institutes for Investment Banking courses in Mumbai. The courses are designed in a way that prepares the students to be future tech-based professionals.
Their student success stories a proof of their top-notch industry-based courses and they are placed in companies such as IBM, JP Morgan, Genpact, HSBC, and so on. The certified investment banking operations professional course by Imarticus Learning is designed for careers in financial operations, treasury, and clearing divisions within an investment bank.
Mode of learning: Both offline and online training are provided by experts from Imarticus Learning. Based on their convenience, one can also choose either the weekday or weekend batches.
- Introduction to financial systems
- Types of participants
- Types of equity
- Understanding the price of an equity
- Types of secondary markets
- Types of bonds
- Bond price sensitivity measure
- Types of derivatives
- Derivative applications
- ETFs, CFDs, GDRs versus equities
- Buying and selling securities
- Mechanics of trading and investing
- An overview of portfolio theory and CAPM
- Time value of money
Placement assistance: Imarticus Learning has a partnership with 400+ top-tier hiring firms in banking and finance in the banking and finance industry. The training also prepares you to face both the HR and technical selection stages of the interview.
3) BSE Institute- Certificate Program in Investment Banking Operations
Bombay Stock Exchange Institute is a top-ranked institute for financial education that offers courses in a range of areas such as investment management, stock market operations, and financial analysis. The institute is a subsidiary of BSE Limited and inherits complete insights into the working of the capital markets industry that have accumulated over the past 148 years.
The certification by the BSE institute is recognized globally and paves the way for international opportunities. The program in investment banking is a vocational course offered by BSE Institute for graduates who are planning a career in the financial market as well as for working professionals.
Mode of learning: Both on-campus and online mode of training is available. The course duration is 7 months.
- Financial system
- Investment banking
- Equity and debt
- Money market
- Foreign exchange
- Commodity markets
- Trade life cycle
- Reference data management
- Global security operations and settlements
- Corporate actions
- Collateral management
- Asset management
- Risk management
- Recovery and resolution plan
Placement assistance: The institute has many recruitment partners such as Morgan Stanley, Motilal Oswal, Morning Star, Integreon, Axis Bank, and so on that offer placements after completion of the course.
4) The WallStreet School- Financial Modeling and Valuations
The Wall Street School was founded in 2009 by ex-professionals from McKinsey and Goldman Sachs. Since its establishment, it has helped thousands of specialists build successful careers in finance and investment banking. The practical training imparted by the institute makes the training participants job-ready.
The course introduces real case studies and discussions combined with concise and up-to-date training material that meets the market demand. The course can be chosen by people from different backgrounds such as Chartered Accountants who want to make a career in the field of finance, MBA students, engineers, undergraduates, or anyone who wants to make a career in Investment banking, equity research, investment banking or corporate finance.
Mode of learning: Participants can choose from different course variants such as a six-week full-time course or two and half months of weekend course. The institute also provides self-paced online courses.
- Basic to advanced Excel
- Basic financial statements
- PowerPoint presentations
- Feasibility studies: building business models with multiple scenarios using XIRR, MIRR
- Discounted cash flow valuation
- Trading and transaction comps analysis
- Merger and acquisition model
- Comparable company analysis
- Leveraged buyout model valuation
- Comparable company analysis
Placement assistance: Once the training participant completes the course, multiple interview opportunities from different companies will be provided promising a high probability of clearing the interview with the insights gained from the course. The past recruiters have been top companies like Deloitte, Equity India, Visible Alpha, Wipro, Genpact, Rothschild and Co., and so on.
5) DataTrained- Investment Banking and Financial Modeling
The postgraduate program in Investment banking and financial modeling offered by the DataTrained Academy is among the best investment banking courses in Mumbai. DataTrained Academy is in collaboration with GoDaddy Academy which will provide the training individuals with industry-ready curriculum.
On completion of the course, participants will be awarded four certifications namely a course completion certificate from DataTrained education, a project completion certificate from DataTrained education, and J P Morgan investment banking virtual internship certificate. The course is available for graduates with or without experience.
Mode of learning: Both classroom and live online training are provided by DataTrained. One can also choose either weekday or weekend batches. The course is of six months duration.
- Basics of finance
- Introduction to financial statements
- Basics of economics: Macroeconomics and microeconomics
- Introduction to investment banking
- Introduction to financial modeling and valuation
- Basic to advanced Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Discounted cash flow valuation
- Cost of capital
- Relative valuation
- Start-up valuation
- Merger and acquisition along with LBO
- Financial management of start-ups
Placement assistance: With more than 10 case studies and industry-relevant projects, after successful completion of the course every training participant gets a guaranteed placement opportunity. DataTrained has 400+ hiring partners and a career assistance cell that exclusively prepares the participants for their dream jobs. Top hiring partners include Yes Bank, Axis Bank, Accenture, Bank of America, Infosys, Tata Consultancy Services Redington, and so on.
6) IMS Proschool- PGCM Investment Banking Course
IMS was founded in 1977 and since its foundation, it has helped thousands of its students to build successful careers. It was ranked as the fourth most trusted education brand by A C Nielsen and Brand equity survey. IMS Proschool’s approach has been to help its students realize their true potential by mentoring and imparting skills and helping them build successful careers.
IMS Proschool identifies the market trend to design courses that give ample professional opportunities, build new-age skilling programs, and motivate students to build their future. Proschool offers skilling programs in fields of finance, accounting, analytics, and marketing that are in demand at present making it one of the most trusted brands for investment banking courses in Mumbai.
On successful completion of the course, students will be awarded two certificates. The investment bank certificate from NSDC and IMS Proschool indicates the course completion. The course also prepares the student to take the All India Management Association (AIMAs) Post Graduate Certificate in Management (PGCM) exams. On passing the exam, students will be awarded with PGCM certificate in investment banking.
Mode of learning: Classroom training of twelve months that is divided into two terms.
- Excel for finance: Excel functions, SUMIF, COUNTIF, Time value of money, Pivot table, Case study, Basic PowerPoint
- Equity, debt markets: Markets organization and structure, participants, equity, debt and pooled- types, characteristics, risks, and returns
- Forex and derivatives: Commodities, forex markets, characteristics of futures, forwards, options and swaps, margins, pricing.
- Investment banking operations: Introduction, corporate actions, trade life cycle, front office and back office operations
- Settlement and risk: Reconciliation, regulation, compliance, risk management, investor grievances
- OTC products: Over-the-counter vs. exchange trade
Placement assistance: The students who enroll for this course will be groomed since day one equipping them with both hard skills and soft skills to prepare them for the job. The student gets all the support to start a career in investment banking.
For further information, contact +91 9867958900
7) Edubridge- Investment Banking Operations Program
Edubridge is a leading workforce development platform that is helping learners from across India build careers with multinational companies through their services. It was started in 2009 by IIM alumni and professors to impart skills to youth that will increase their employability with top corporate companies.
Throughout the course, the participants will study more than twenty case studies and projects related to the industry. The certification program in investment banking operations by Edubridge is designed to teach all the tools and techniques that are relevant to real-time industry trends and requirements making it one of the best investment banking courses in Mumbai.
Mode of learning: All sessions and assessments will be conducted online.
- Understanding the basics of financial planning
- Value investing: Its advantages and disadvantages
- Introduction to investment banking and financial system
- Introduction to cash equities
- Introduction to fixed-income securities
- Introduction to the foreign exchange market
- Introduction to the money market
- Derivatives- forwards, futures, options and swaps
- Corporate actions and types of corporate actions
- Trade life cycle
- Reconciliations and its types
- Know your customer, anti-money laundering, and due diligence
- Introduction to asset management- mutual funds, fund accounting
- Introduction of reference data management
- Risk and type of risk and regulation with aspect to global markets
- MS Excel
- Introduction to PowerPoint
Placement assistance: Edubridge has a curated job portal and a placement team that chooses the right opportunity for a participant. They provide one-on-one mentorship and career counseling that will prepare you for placement. They also provide a protection policy that insures learners to avail up to Rs.12 lakhs in the event of job loss. A minimum of five interviews are assured for every candidate upon successful completion of the course.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) What is the salary package after completing investment banking courses in Mumbai?
According to Glassdoor, the average salary for an investment banking professional in India varies between 3-9 lakhs per annum. It also varies from role to role and also based on the experience of the individual.
2) What are the average fees for pursuing Investment banking courses in Mumbai?
The average fee to pursue an investment banking course is Rs.50000 in India. It varies between different institutes based on various factors such as mode of learning, job assistance, certification, and so on.
3) What are the job prospects after completing investment banking courses in Mumbai?
Job prospects after completing an investment banking course are many with a wide range of opportunities in investment banks, private equity firms, asset management firms, and other financial institutions. The job role can vary from junior financial analyst to executive head among others.
4) Does investment banking have scope in India?
Investment banking has emerged as an important tool for the economic growth of many sectors in the era of globalization. Investment banking provides decision-making support in complex scenarios. Affordable financial modelers and increasing business complexity contribute to a promising future for investment banking in India.
5) What is the eligibility criterion for pursuing an investment banking course?
An undergraduate degree in finance, commerce, or economics is preferred to pursue a career in investment banks. Even MBA Finance is the most sought-after qualification to start a career in investment banks. Apart from this, any graduate who likes to crunch those complex numbers of a company’s data and has strong analytical skills and communication skills can get certification from the best investment banking courses in Mumbai and kick-start a career in investment banking.
Investment banks play an important role in the growth of companies as they assist companies and advise them regarding all major financial transactions. Even the expansion of a business for its growth requires the role of an investment banker. According to the ‘Investment Banking Global Market Report 2022″, the global investment banking market is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 11.9%. There are many job roles and a wide range of opportunities in the finance niche after completion of an investment banking course for both freshers and professionals looking for a career transition.